Winter delight: Give gajak a healthy, wholesome twist with this dry fruit recipe
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 26, 2023
The winter season brings with it a certain charm that is hard to resist. As the weather turns cold, we find ourselves craving warm blankets and steaming cups of chai. And what better way to satisfy our appetites than with some delicious dry fruits, jaggery, and peanuts? So why not try a wholesome version of gajak that combines all these delightful ingredients?
- Can eating spicy food cause piles? Let’s find out if it’s a myth or fact
- Fear and anxiety: Here are 5 ultimate tips to overcome them
- Yoga se hoga! Try these 5 yoga poses to improve your sex life
- Low self esteem: 4 signs that indicate you need to work on yourself
- Did you know choosing the right cooking oil can help improve your skin?
Winter not only offers a variety of sweet and savory treats but also provides a host of health benefits. These delights not only keep us warm and cozy but also boost our metabolism and help alleviate winter allergies.
One such childhood favorite is gajak – a sweet made from sesame seeds and jaggery. Traditionally found in North India, gajak is cooked and then pounded to achieve its flaky, chewy texture, making it the perfect dessert or sweet snack to delight your taste buds.
But we have something special in store for you. We have taken a classic gajak recipe from Hebbar’s Kitchen, a popular online recipe hub, and added a touch of dry fruits to make it even more winter-friendly. Trust us when we say that it’s a delight your whole family will love.
Dry Fruit Gajak Recipe
- Til or sesame seeds (white): 1 cup
- Ghee: 1-2 teaspoons
- Jaggery: 200 grams
- Dry fruits (almonds, pistachio, cashew): 100 grams, finely chopped
- Peanuts: 50 grams
- Place a pan on the gas burner, and add the sesame seeds.
- Dry roast them until they acquire a light brown hue.
- Once roasted, spread them on a plate to cool.
- In the same pan, add dry fruits like cashews, pistachios, almonds, and peanuts. Roast them on a low flame, ensuring they don’t turn black.
- After roasting the nuts, add ghee and jaggery to the pan. Allow the jaggery to melt on low fire, continuously stirring to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Once the jaggery melts, add the roasted sesame seeds and mix well to avoid lumps.
- Next, add the roasted dry fruits and mix thoroughly. Keep the flame intensity low.
- Let the mixture cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Grease a flat plate or thali with a few drops of ghee, then pour the mixture onto it, spreading it evenly.
- Once the mixture cools off, cut it into desired shapes and pieces.
And voila! Your delicious dry fruit gajak is ready to be enjoyed.
The best part about this gajak recipe is that it’s quick and easy to make. Plus, if stored properly, it can last for at least a month, ensuring you have a delightful treat on hand whenever you crave something sweet.
But that’s not all – this gajak is not just delicious but also healthy.
Health Benefits of the Ingredients:
- Dry fruits, especially during winters, give you smooth and glowing skin while boosting your immunity. This gajak checks all the boxes without compromising on taste.
- It boosts energy levels, making it the perfect snack to keep you active and revitalized throughout the day.
- Jaggery, one of the main ingredients, improves digestion. It is a healthier sweetener, acts as a great cleanser, aids glucose control, and supports weight loss.
- Sesame seeds contain calcium, promoting bone health. They can also help reduce joint and back pain during the winter season.
So, ladies, do you have any reason not to try this special dry fruit gajak? We think not! Indulge in this delightful winter treat and experience the goodness of wholesome ingredients wrapped in a deliciously sweet package.