Turn to Ayurveda’s Panchakarma to detox your body, mind, and soul
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 26, 2023
From lemon and warm water routine to meditation – we do it all when it comes to detoxifying our mind, body, and soul. Growing stress, environmental issues, and soaring health problems make it all the more important to take detox more seriously than ever. And what can be better to tackle this menace than Ayurveda.
- Is this your baby’s first winter? 5 tips you must follow to keep the little one warm and cosy
- Covid-19 times: Nosh on these foods for stronger immunity
- Focusing on past success can help people with depression and anxiety make better decisions: Study
- Unable to achieve your weight loss goals? Follow this ultimate running guide to shed kilos
- Psoriasis treatment: Are homeopathic remedies effective?
Nowadays, there are a lot of gummies, pop-in tablets, powders, and more that promise to cleanse your body inside out. But how holistic are they? Well, no one knows. But Ayurveda has a technique which is known as Panchakarma using which you can solve problemS that may be rupturing your health.
And ladies, we are not just talking about the functioning of your organs but Panchakarma also works on your day-to-day worries like acne, hair fall, anxiety, bowel movement, and so much more. Basically, this kriya is your one-stop for well-being.
So, come let’s see how you can unravel this miraculous Ayurvedic technique and give yourself the best gift of life.
What is Panchakarma?
Panchakarma is ostensibly Ayurveda’s most important branch. It is a natural treatment that cleanses the body and restores its inner balance and energy. Panchakarma translates to ‘Five Actions’, a fitting name for a technique that relies on five unique basic activities to govern the body: Vaman (Therapeutic Vomiting), Virechan (Purgation), Basti (Herbalized oil enemas), Nasya (Nasal irrigation), and Raktmoshan (Bloodletting). The majority of Ayurvedic procedures are constructed on the foundation of Panchakarma.
“When medicinal oils are utilized to help remove toxins from the human body, Panchakarma is most successful. Panchakarma is a legitimate Ayurvedic belief system that lives up to its name,” says Dr Gaurav Tripathi, Ayurveda and nutrition expert at Birla Ayurveda.
Here are the five Panchakarma therapies to detox you from head to toe
- Vaman: Helps in weight-related issues In this treatment, for the first few days, the patient receives inside and outside oleation and fomentation treatments that include therapies and Ayurvedic drugs. The patient is given emetic drugs and decoction once the toxins have dissolved and accumulated in the higher cavities of the body. This induces vomiting and helps the body remove toxins from the tissues. Weight gain, asthma, and hyperacidity are examples of Kapha-dominated illnesses for which Vaman therapy is recommended.
- Virechan: For the love of your gut “The cleaning of the bowels is used in Virechan to purge or dispose of poisons. This treatment also includes inside and outside oleation and fomentation therapies for the patient. The patient is then given a natural purgative to encourage the cleaning of the bowels, which aids in the removal of toxins from the body. Virechan is primarily used to treat Pitta-dominated illnesses such as herpes zoster, jaundice, colitis, and celiac disease,” tells Dr Tripathi.
- Basti: Tailor-made for those dealing with arthritis The management of medicinal ingredients by enema is an example of Ayurveda’s extraordinary attention to the therapeutic field. The treatment provides a lot of benefits, especially for complicated and chronic conditions. Home-grown decoctions, oils, ghee, or milk are managed in the rectum according to the nature of the condition, and this has remarkable positive results. This medicine works well for Vata-dominant conditions like arthritis, piles, and constipation.
- Nasya: Focuses on your mental well-being This therapy is fantastic for cleaning and purging the head area. The head and shoulder areas receive a gentle massage and fomentation at the start of the session. The nasal drops are then regulated in both nostrils. This cleans the entire head area and reduces a variety of symptoms such as cerebral pain, headaches, hair problems, sleep disturbances, neurological disorders, sinusitis, chronic rhinitis, and respiratory problems.
- Raktamokshan: For all dermatological issues “This treatment effectively purifies the blood and treats illnesses caused by impure blood. It can be done on a specific area or the entire body. This treatment is notably beneficial for skin diseases like psoriasis and dermatitis and local lesions like abscesses and pigmentation,” suggests Dr Tripathi.
He added, “Your Panchakarma treatment begins with a thorough examination by an Ayurvedic physician, which allows the specialist to tailor a treatment plan to an individual’s needs. As your Panchakarma treatments progress, you’ll be given a customized Ayurvedic diet to follow at home, along with specific medicinal herbs and essential oils. These will aid in activating your liver and stomach organs, assisting them in removing pollutants.”
It might sound complicated in the first go but if you are not a fan of any other branch of medicine then Ayurveda is calling you with Panchkarma. Give it a shot!