Try this delicious curd rice recipe to tantalise your taste buds
By Emily Hagan | Published on Oct 18, 2023
The scorching summer heat can make it challenging to indulge in your favorite dishes. Instead, opt for meals that offer a refreshing respite from the heat. A quick and delicious recipe that fits the bill is curd rice. Hailing from South India, curd rice is not only a staple but also one of the easiest and most scrumptious dishes that can be whipped up in no time. What’s more, it can be made using leftover rice.
- Insulin Pumps for Children: Everything You Need to Know
- Woohoo! Did you know that drinking cold coffee can help you lose weight?
- For shiny hair, go for this green moong and ripe banana hair mask
- Welcome 2022 with the Latest Fitness Trends to Achieve Optimal Health
- Can your hair fall even after getting a hair transplant? An expert weighs in
Just like Rajma Chawal to Punjabis and Dhoklas to Gujaratis, curd rice holds a special place in the hearts and kitchens of South Indians. Also known as yogurt rice, this dish is a simple and delightful meal that even non-traditional eaters can enjoy. If you’re tempted to try curd rice yourself, we’ve got you covered with an easy-to-follow recipe.
How to Make Delicious Curd Rice Using Leftover Rice?
Here’s a fantastic recipe for curd rice that you must try:
- A bowl of plain leftover rice
- Salt to taste
- Seasonal veggies (optional)
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Asafoetida (Hing)
- Chana dal
- Urad dal
- Red chili
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves (optional)
To make the recipe even more enticing, you can also garnish the curd rice with roasted peanuts.
Preparing the Rice:
In case you’re not familiar with making plain rice, here’s a simple recipe:
- Take half a cup of rice and rinse it 2-3 times with water to remove any excess starch.
- In a cooker, add the rice and 1.5 cups of water. Cook on medium-low heat until you hear 3-4 whistles. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
Making the Curd Rice:
- In a bowl, coarsely mash the rice to eliminate any lumps.
- Add the curd and salt to the cooled rice.
- If desired, include fresh seasonal veggies and mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and asafoetida. Let them splutter.
- Add chana dal, urad dal, and red chili to the pan.
- Once the dal turns brown, add curry leaves.
- Pour the prepared tadka (tempering) onto the curd rice mixture.
- Finally, garnish the curd rice with coriander leaves and roasted peanuts for an added crunch (optional).
If you’re keen to tantalize your taste buds and beat the summer heat, give this curd rice recipe a try. It’s a quick and easy meal that can be prepared using leftover rice.
The Incredible Health Benefits of Curd Rice
Don’t worry about whether curd rice is a good combination for you—it absolutely is! Pavithra N Raj, Chief Dietitian at Manipal Hospitals, Yeshwanthpur, Bengaluru, explains that curd contains probiotics, which are clinically proven to boost gut health.
“Curd is excellent for your digestive system, aiding digestion and maintaining overall digestive health. It also helps prevent infections and restores the microbial balance in the intestines. Additionally, curd is a rich source of calcium. Contrary to popular belief, curd is beneficial even for those with diseases. It aids digestion and prevents bloating that may occur due to medication,” affirms the nutritionist.
Curd rice is also a cooling food that is gentle on your digestive system and can help alleviate acidity. The vitamin C content in curd can work wonders for your skin and hair when consumed or applied topically. Remember to consult your doctor about any potential side effects before incorporating curd rice into your diet.
Enjoy this delectable recipe anytime for a quick and refreshing meal, perfect for using up leftover rice.