This yummy spinach and apple salad recipe can boost your iron levels
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 25, 2023
If you feel like you’re tied to your bed each morning, it could be the bitter cold or an unchecked iron deficiency. While low iron levels can be gender neutral, women are more prone to iron deficiency. Worry not ladies, because this deficiency isn’t that bad to fix. A healthy diet can up your iron levels which play a vital role in transportation of oxygen around your body.
- We’ve ranked these cardio exercises on how healthy they are for your heart
- Protect Your Skin This Winter: 5 Essential Tips
- Best heat protection sprays for hair: Save your tresses from styling tools
- Health Horoscope Today November 16, 2022: Prioritize Your Well-being
- These Ayurvedic herbs can help you build your immunity naturally
An all-inclusive diet of proteins, vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates and good fats is recommended by health experts to prevent deficiencies and ensure your body keeps up with the daily wear and tear. Contrary to popular belief, iron deficiencies can be prevented just by eating enough vegetables and fruits. The current daily value of iron consumption is 18 mg which can be easily fulfilled by eating enough dry fruits, dark leafy greens, peas, asparagus and button mushrooms. Well, that seems achievable!
If you’re a weight-watcher who is also a picky eater but can’t ignore your mineral levels, you’re at the right place! As we talk about the natural storehouses of iron, this salad recipe is the answer to all your nutrient deficiencies and is so flavorful that you will eat it until the last bite!
Spinach and apple salad recipe, which can be great if you have iron deficiency:
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 cup Apple
- 4 pc Walnuts
- 1 pc chopped red onion
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ cup feta cheese/ goat cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp crushed pepper
- Salt to taste
Once you have all the ingredients, get down to the recipe:
- Take a bowl and add fresh and clean spinach leaves.
- Cut any variety of crispy apples of your choice into square pieces and add to the bowl.
- Add the red onions for added flavour.
- Take another bowl and make apple cider vinaigrette.
- For this, add vinegar, olive oil, honey, dijon mustard, chopped garlic and mix well.
- Once the ingredients seem blended, pour this mixture onto the Spinach and Apples.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix with salad tongs.
- It’s optional but you can sprinkle it with cheese of your choice.
- Enjoy with a meal or on it’s own.
This salad has all the ingredients known to aim at upping your iron levels. Apart from iron, these ingredients mentioned here have a massive list of benefits:
This healthy green was the energy booster for Popeye – the sailor man, and it can be for you! Rich in iron and minerals like calcium and magnesium, spinach is linked to immense health benefits such as preventing cancer, improving your eyesight, and keeping your blood sugar in control. To call this leafy green, a fountain of health won’t be an exaggeration.
Not only do apples taste good on their own, they can prove more beneficial when added to a dish. Eating apples is a delicious option to up your iron levels. They are rich in dietary fiber which aids digestion. Apples even maintain a low cholesterol level in your body. Oh wait, there’s more to it! Apples are the safest fruit for diabetes patients, they can prevent cancer and aid weight loss!
These super sources of omega-3 are excellent to add to your salads for a nutty flavour. Walnuts provide healthy fat, fiber, minerals and vitamins. To simply call them nutritious will be an understatement!
In addition to this salad, eat tangerine fruits rich in vitamin C that helps increase the absorption of iron into your body.
Along with the fact that it’s an extra easy recipe, it is endlessly customizable. You can swap whatever ingredients you think go better with spinach and apples and make your own version with it. You can even tweak the vinaigrette to your liking. Try once and it will become a staple!