This 30-minute spiced pumpkin soup recipe is the weight-loss friendly answer to all your weekday dinners
By Emily Hagan | Published on Oct 17, 2023
If you’re like me, spending hours in the kitchen is not your idea of fun. Cooking has never been my strong suit, but when my cook was on leave, I had no choice but to step up to the plate. After a long day of work, mustering up the energy to make a quick meal was a challenge. That’s when I discovered the ultimate solution: a 30-minute spiced pumpkin soup that is not only easy to make but also healthy and delicious.
- Common medication used to reduce cholesterol levels may reduce Covid-19 severity too, finds study
- 20 Sutras That Will Ensure Your Healthiest Year Yet
- Caffeine during periods: Why should you cut down on your consumption
- 7 lifestyle hacks to maintain healthy kidneys
- Eating pickle is great for your health, reveals celebrity nutritionist
The Power of Pumpkins
Did you know that pumpkins, known as “kaddu” among desi kids, are not only low in calories but also packed with nutrients? According to the USDA, just 245 grams of pumpkin provides double your daily requirement of vitamin A. And here’s the best part – that same amount of pumpkin only contains 49 calories, 12 grams of carbohydrates, and 0.2 grams of fat! Plus, it’s loaded with antioxidants and other vitamins that promote heart health and overall well-being.
A Burst of Flavor
If you’re worried that a healthy soup might be lacking in taste, think again. This spiced pumpkin soup is a flavor explosion. With a blend of aromatic whole spices, every spoonful is a delightful experience. It’s healthy comfort food at its finest.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 250 gm orange pumpkin
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 cloves
- 4-5 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Oregano to taste
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
Preparation Made Easy
- Start by cleaning, peeling, and coarsely chopping the pumpkin and carrots. Set them aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat. Once hot, add the cinnamon stick, cloves, and peppercorns. Toss them around until the spices release their aromatic flavors.
- Add the chopped garlic and sauté it with the spices until it turns translucent.
- Now, add the chopped pumpkin, carrots, water, salt, and oregano to the cooker. Put on the lid and let the pressure cooker release two whistles on medium heat. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes before opening the lid. Use a hand blender to puree all the ingredients until smooth. If you don’t have a hand blender, a mixer-grinder will do the trick. Just ensure the soup has cooled down completely before transferring it to the jar.
- Bring the pureed soup to a boil. If you prefer a thinner consistency, feel free to add more water. Just before removing the soup from the heat, you can add a tablespoon of butter for some extra richness. And voila, you’re done!
- For a smoother consistency, strain the soup before bringing it to a boil.
In just 30 minutes, you can enjoy a warm and nourishing bowl of spiced pumpkin soup. This recipe has been my go-to on most nights. Don’t forget to let me know in the comments below if you give it a try!