Reverse hair damage by adding grapefruit to your hair care routine
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 22, 2023
If you can’t afford your hair to look frizzy and you’ve been using those fancy-shmancy gels and heating products to keep them set all day long – then you must be well-aware of the damage that they cause. But you can still save your tresses by adding grapefruit to your hair care regime.
- How to get rid of toxic relationship : कड़वाहट भरे रिश्ते में दम घुटने लगा है, तो इन 6 तरीकों पर करें अमल
- Common artificial sweetener Aspartame may cause cancer: Should you eat sugar instead?
- Love your skin, liver and heart? Don’t reuse cooking oil
- 9 Mouthwatering Snacks to Savor on Rainy Days: From Bhutta to Baked Samosa
- 5 myths about your vagina that you need to stop believing RN
Nurturing your hair with a grapefruit hair mask can make dandruff and split ends vanish in one go. Not just that, but this fruit makes your hair much smoother, stronger, and healthier.
Grapefruit has a long list of benefits. Let’s reveal them for you one by one. Believe it or not, once you know them all, you will never go back to using those chemical- laden products.
Here are five reasons why you should apply grapefruit on your scalp
1. Grapefruit will make your hair shiny
Grapefruit juice helps to get rid of the buildup that can mess up the protein layer on your hair strands. As it contains vitamins A and C, it helps to boost hair growth. Citrus products are also known to brighten the hair, bringing out natural highlights. Give your hair a rinse with fresh grapefruit juice, and feel its goodness.
2. It will promote hair growth
Massaging hair with grapefruit oil is an easy method to promote healthy hair, and enable hair re-growth. It leaves the hair more shinier and lustrous.
3. It reduces dandruff
“Grapefruit contains a compound that helps to lower the amount of yeast in your system. Grapefruit topically helps to reduce dandruff, and kills the fungus that causes dandruff. It also removes buildup caused by hair products, which can contribute to dandruff,” explains Dr Ajay Rana, well- renowned dermatologist and aesthetic physician.
4. It rinses the chemicals that can damage your hair
Grapefruit can help get rid of chemicals that have loaded the hair follicles, due to usage of hairsprays, gels, and hair creams that have been used on the hair.
5. Grapefruit prevents hair thinning
“Grapefruit contains rich amounts of vitamin B1 and flavonoids, a phytochemical that helps to improve blood circulation. Applying its peel’s extract on the scalp will help stimulate blood flow to the area. Our hair follicles feed on the nutrients and oxygen coming from the blood, so where there’s enough blood flow, there is more hair growth in that area. It makes hair thicker, and more voluminous,” explains Dr Rana.
Here’s how to apply grapefruit to your scalp
- Take five to eight drops of grapefruit essential oil shampoo, mix well and apply on the hair. You can completely mix it with a few drops of grapefruit essential oil, and use it as a shampoo every day.
- “You can make a cleanser that will clean the hair and remove all dirt, salt buildup, and chlorine. For making a cleanser with grapefruit, take half a cup club soda, quarter cup grapefruit juice, quarter cup orange juice, quarter cup lemon juice, and two drops of sage oil. Add all the ingredients to a spray bottle. Wet hair thoroughly and spray the mixture onto it. Comb through the hair and let it stay for five minutes. After this, wash the hair with your regular shampoo and conditioner. Repeat the process every two weeks and for dry and damaged hair, repeat every three weeks.” recommends Dr Rana.
- You can make a hair mask using grapefruit by mixing some fresh grapefruit juice or grapefruit essential oil with orange, lemon and sage. Apply the hair mask and leave it on for 30 minutes before washing it off. It will help to cleanse the scalp effectively, and add bounce and vitality to the hair.
“Grapefruit is a nutritious citrus fruit that is antioxidant-rich and contains many medicinal benefits. How long you should keep the grapefruit juice, oil, or hair mask on totally depends on the type of hair you have, problems, and its quality. In an ideal situation, one should keep it for at least 30 minutes,” advises Dr Rana.
So ladies, keep these tips handy and don’t let winters ruin your tresses with grapefruit.