Ramadan 2022: Here are 4 ‘Iftar special’ weight-loss recipes by top chefs
By NCVC Staff | Published on Oct 10, 2023
The holy month of Ramadan is here, bringing with it an abundance of gratitude and delicious food. Ramadan is not only a religious event but also an opportunity for us to focus on our health, detoxification, and consuming nutritious meals that can help prevent various illnesses. While it may be tempting to indulge in everything we can grab after hours of fasting, it is important to maintain healthy eating habits to reap the benefits of fasting and avoid undoing all our efforts. To help you with that, we have compiled a list of four lip-smacking recipes for a healthy Iftar that you must try!
- 4 things I eat each morning to feel energized throughout the day
- Hungry kya? Try these 6 snacks for beautiful skin and hair
- Foul breath under the mask? Follow these 9 tips to get rid of it
- Can Omicron give you super immunity against Covid-19? An expert answers
- Embracing the Postpartum Journey with Freida Pinto
Experience the Delight of Healthy Iftar Recipes
1. Quinoa Methi Tikki by Executive Chef Rajesh Wadhwa, Taj Palace, New Delhi
- 150 gm Quinoa
- 50 gm Mashed potatoes
- 50 gm Dried fenugreek
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 25 gms Rice flour
- 1 tbsp Refined oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tsp Chopped ginger
- 1 tsp Chopped green chilli
- Black salt
- Rinse the quinoa under running water for at least 30 seconds, then drain the water.
- Steam the quinoa on a gentle flame until well cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, and allow them to crackle. Then add chopped ginger and sauté the cooked quinoa in it. Set aside.
- Allow the quinoa mixture to cool. Then add mashed potatoes, green chilli, salt, black salt, cumin powder, fenugreek, and rice flour.
- Divide the mixture into equal parts and make round patties.
- Heat oil on a griddle and shallow fry the patties until they become light golden brown in color.
- Serve hot at Iftar time.
2. Pickled Radish by Ashok Bandaru, Executive Chef, Shangri-La Bengaluru
- 200 gm White Vinegar
- 150 gm Light Soy Sauce
- 50 gm Dark Soy Sauce
- 200 gm Water
- 50 gm Castor Sugar
- 50 gm Fresh Red Chillies
- 100 gm Whole Garlic
- 500 gm White Radish
- Mix all the ingredients in an airtight container.
- Chop the radish into baton cuts and put them in the brine mixture.
- Refrigerate the pickles for five days.
- Serve chilled.
- This pickle goes well with parathas and pita bread, making it a perfect addition to your Iftar menu.
3. Carrot Poriyal Baked Puffs by Chef Yogank Pranav, BeatO Food Lab
For the Poriyal:
- 150 gm Carrots
- 1 tbsp Moong Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 3 tbsp Coconut (fresh, grated)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric Seeds
- 5-10 Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
For the dough:
- Black Wheat Flour – 250 gm
- Olive Oil – 30 ml
- Water – 100-120 ml
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Chop the carrots and soak the moong dal and urad dal.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and soaked dal.
- Stir-fry the dal until it turns golden brown.
- Add curry leaves, chopped carrots, and red chilly, and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add water, cover the pan, and cook until all the water has evaporated.
- Add grated coconut and fry for another two minutes. Set it aside to cool.
- For the dough, add olive oil to the flour and mix well. Add water and knead it into a semi-soft dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Roll the dough and form a 6-inch gujiya shape.
- Add the poriyal into it.
- Lightly brush it with olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve with carrot chutney for Iftar.
4. Solanchi Kadhi (Kokum Saar) by M U Kasture, Executive Chef, The Ashok Hotel, New Delhi
- 100 gms Kokum
- 1 Fresh coconut
- Salt to taste
- 5 gms Coriander leaves
- 2 pods Garlic
- Soak kokum in water for 6-7 hours.
- Strain the water and set it aside. Squeeze the pulp from soaked kokum and add it to the strained kokum water.
- Grate coconut and boil it in water to make coconut milk.
- Add the kokum water to the coconut milk and add salt.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and garlic.
Enjoy these delicious recipes at Iftar time with your family and friends. Embrace a healthy lifestyle and savor the flavors without compromising your health or weight. Ramadan Mubarak!