Nosh on the Winter Superfood Anjeer in these 5 Delicious Ways
By NCVC Staff | Published on Oct 09, 2023
Winter is here, and that means it’s time to indulge in special foods that keep us warm and nourished. One such winter superfood is anjeer, also known as figs. Packed with essential nutrients like copper, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus, anjeer offers a whole host of health benefits. But did you know that it also keeps you feeling fuller for longer?
- Feeling pain in your breasts? Here are 6 possible reasons behind it
- 6 collagen-rich skincare products for glowing and youthful skin
- Do children of smokers develop lung-related issues early in life?
- 5 diabetes superfoods that can help you control your blood sugar naturally
- 5 best pillows for neck pain: Get the right support for sound sleep
Not only is anjeer a delicious treat, but it has also been used in herbal medicines for centuries to treat various ailments like asthma, constipation, and cough. It’s a fantastic source of potassium, which helps regulate heart rate and reduce blood pressure. Additionally, the dried fruit contains pectin, a natural compound that helps reduce blood sugar levels. And let’s not forget that anjeer is an excellent source of iron, vital for maintaining healthy blood.
According to Dr. Aparna Govil Bhasker, a renowned Bariatric and Laparoscopic Surgeon, anjeer is especially beneficial for those looking to shed some extra pounds. Its goodness goes beyond taste and texture; it can actually aid in weight loss!
So, you may be wondering, how can you enjoy the benefits of anjeer? Celebrity nutritionist Kavita Devgan shares some enticing ways to incorporate figs into your diet. Let’s dive in!
Here are 5 delicious ways to enjoy anjeer:
1. Soak two anjeer in water overnight and eat them first thing every morning
Anjeer is packed with antioxidants and fiber, making it a powerful ally in fighting reproductive and hormonal health issues. It also helps maintain sugar levels in the body, preventing the occurrence of type 2 diabetes. The fiber content aids in regulating bowel movements and reducing constipation. Plus, it provides protection for your heart – talk about a win-win!
2. Chop anjeer and add them to cereals, muesli, and oats
Give your mornings a nutritional boost by adding chopped figs to your cereal bowl. Not only will they provide an energy kick, but they’ll also keep you feeling satisfied and full for longer. Pair them with other fruits for a delightful flavor explosion.
3. Use anjeer to make healthy desserts
Who said desserts can’t be healthy? Add anjeer to traditional Indian sweets like barfi and halwa to enhance both their texture and taste. These recipes typically contain ghee and are topped with dry fruits like figs, adding a delightful crunch and natural sweetness. The best part? You won’t need to add any extra sugar, thanks to the natural sweetness of anjeer!
4. Boil anjeer in milk and enjoy a soothing bedtime drink
Combine the goodness of warm milk with anjeer for a comforting bedtime drink. Not only does it promote a good night’s sleep, but it also boosts your immunity – something we all need in today’s Covid-19 era. Sip on this nourishing concoction to keep illnesses at bay.
5. Banana and anjeer shake
For a refreshing and nutritious beverage, blend figs with bananas to create a delectable shake. Not only is it packed with health benefits, but it’s also irresistibly delicious. Here’s a simple recipe to try:
- 2 cups dried figs (soaked overnight)
- 2 cups sliced bananas
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- Chop the soaked dried figs into small pieces.
- Add the figs, bananas, milk, and honey to a blender.
- Blend on medium speed until smooth.
- Strain the milkshake through a cheesecloth to remove fig seeds.
- Pour into tall glasses and garnish with chopped almonds if desired.
Give these 5 delightful ways to enjoy anjeer a try, and embrace the goodness of this winter superfood. Stay warm, stay nourished, and most importantly, enjoy every bite!