Here are 6 ways you can help your aged parents fight obesity and lead a healthy life
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 28, 2023
People across age groups are struggling with obesity, but it gets particularly complicated in the case of the elderly population. After all, it is linked to several other diseases, and can also shorten their lifespan!
- World Thyroid Day: How are thyroid and gut health connected
- Health Horoscope Today November 7, 2022: Your body might need some rest today
- Water retention could be the reason behind your weight gain! Here’s how to tackle it
- Acne-prone or blemished skin, here’s the right sunscreen for your skin type
- Beauty lies in body positivity, so practice these 5 tips to fall in love with your body
If you have elderly parents, you very well know how most of them have zero to minimal physical activity. That’s not a good sign, because it can impact their health adversely. So, it’s time for you to motivate them to shed those extra pounds. All set?
Here are 6 ways you can help them:
1. Find fun ways of exercising If your parents dread the idea of exercising, it’s time for you to liven up their workout routine! If they love being outdoors, you can take them for short walks to your neighbourhood park. This will also make them move a little more, and that’s something you want!
And if they do not enjoy walking, you can always try to include dancing, or some fun sports like frisbee, hula hoop or badminton, to their workout plan.
2. Try yoga As we all know, yoga is a great workout, and not too rigorous for the elderly! You can try and convince them to start doing yoga, a few times a week. You can also enroll them to a yoga class in your vicinity. This will not just help them to overcome their sedentary lifestyle, but will also give them a chance to socialise, and make new friends.
3. Shake up their diet We all know how diet plays an important role when it comes to losing weight. Unfortunately, the Indian diet is all about consuming an overload of carbs, and that leads to obesity. Now you can’t expect your parents to completely change their diet routine, but you can take one step at a time to help them battle obesity. To begin with, start making eggs or oats for breakfast, instead of chapati. You can then make such small changes to every meal!
4. Cook healthy recipes together You can also try and make meals a lot more fun! How about whipping up some healthy recipes together in the kitchen? You can swap the unhealthy ingredients for healthier alternatives. This might make them more conscious, and help them lose those extra pounds.
5. Give consistent feedback and appreciate them Your parents rely on you for emotional support and appreciation. So, how about giving them feedback and appreciating them for the little efforts they make every day? This will motivate them to a whole new level, and you never know, you’ll begin seeing results in no time!
Also, read: Here’s how exercise can help your mother manage her osteoporosis
6. Reward them when they complete their goals To keep them motivated, set up a goal-reward system. It can be as small as taking them out for a movie or gifting them a new pair of shoes. This goal-reward system helps your parents stay on track.
You, too, can help your parents deal with obesity. It just requires a little effort, but certainly pays off in the long run!