Even dermatologists agree applying chocolate on your face can make you glow
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 23, 2023
Chocolate truly makes the world go round. Be it to celebrate a joyful event or to make yourself feel better after a bad day, chocolate is the go-to food for most of us.
- Intermittent fasting vs small meals: Which diet is better for weight loss?
- Lack of Sleep: Your Health Horoscope Today
- Try Nasyam, Shiro Abhyanga and more Ayurveda tricks to reverse hair fall
- Health Horoscope Today November 3, 2022: Blood pressure patients will have to take of their health
- Want to sleep like a baby? Give these 5 yoga poses a try
While the world is slowly and steadily coming around to the health benefits of chocolate, it started being recognised as a super powerful ingredient for skincare a couple of years ago. And so now, we see chocolate facials being offered at salons and even skin products that have chocolate as a main component.
Many women have already made it a regular part of their skincare routine, claiming that it moisturises the skin while also lending a glow. So, we began wondering just how true these claims are. After all, you can’t apply just about anything on the face, right?
We talked to Dr Nidhi Rohtagi, senior consultant, Dermatology, Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj to know if we can put chocolate on our face. Turns out, all those who have been loyally slathering on chocolate are right! She confirms that chocolate has multiple benefits for the skin.
Here’s what chocolate can do for your skin Talking about chocolate as a part of skincare, she says: “Just how eating dark chocolate is healthier as compared to the other varieties, similarly, dark chocolate is the healthiest for your skin as compared to other types of chocolates available.”
Dr Rohtagi explains exactly how chocolate works its magic on your skin: “Dark chocolate makes for a very effective antioxidant since it is rich in cocoa. The high cocoa content ensures that it is rich in flavonoids. Now, the function of flavonoids is to prevent skin damage, boost collagen production and boost cell health. The effect that we get to see directly on the skin is that it glows, looks fresh and even fine lines seem smoother.
She adds: “Moreover, the high zinc content in dark chocolate can be extremely beneficial to keep your skin clear and smooth since it prevents acne.”
So, how can we use chocolate on the skin to reap its benefits? Dr Rohtagi says that chocolate face masks can be made right at home! However, she did mention that you need to customize them according to your skin type to be able to benefit from its use. For this, she suggested two face masks:
1. For oily skin When you have oily skin, you are more prone to breakouts. For this, she suggests mixing dark chocolate with multani mitti which is known to absorb oil. You can add lemon to this mix to double the effect and achieve a smooth skin.
2. For dry skin If keeping your skin hydrated is your main concern, then Dr Rohtagi suggests that you add milk (which is rich in lactic acid) to dark chocolate for your chocolate face mask. You can also add olive oil and/or honey, both of which are known for their moisturising qualities.
So, ladies, chocolate is one of the safest and most effective ways to ensure your skin keeps glowing! Not to mention, it’s tasty too.