Don’t throw away orange peels, make this ubtan for bright skin instead!
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 21, 2023
Oranges are this season’s best savoury delight. What winter brings to you can make up for all the lost nutrients and stock up on energy every day! Oranges, a winter wonder, are a crowd-pleaser in the family of fruits. They are loved and enjoyed by people from all age groups. However, what we all do is throw away their precious orange peels. Sigh!
- Coregasm 101: All you need to know about exercise-induced orgasms
- Have kidney stones? Know your food restrictions
- Weight loss on your mind? Eat pumpkin to melt fat, says India’s top nutritionist
- Health Horoscope Today September 2, 2023: You will concentrate on altering your diet
- Aerobics to strength training: Ensure variety in your exercise routine
If you have been making the same error, here’s an eye-opener for you, ladies! Orange peels contain more amount of Vitamin C than fruit. Often peeled off and discarded, we forget that these aromatic peels should be treasured not trashed. The antibacterial properties in this tangy fruit makes them a great addition to your skincare regime.
Orange peels are a superb skincare ingredient for acne-prone skin. They house key minerals like calcium, potassium and magnesium that promote youthful glow and smooth appearance. The peels can also renew dead cells and moisturize the skin. Orange peels are a perfect skincare choice for anyone looking for a natural and pocket-friendly way to flawless skin.
Dr Nivedita Dadu, Renowned Dermatologist, spoke to HealthShots about the umpteen benefits of orange peels.
“Peels of orange can be used along with other kitchen ingredients to prepare lip balm, face mask, cleansers that help to give soft and natural glowing skin. Skin with kapha and pitta imbalance (oily skin) responds well to application of orange peels. It balances the skin oils and makes skin smooth and soft”, says Dr Dadu, who is a Founder and Chairman of Dr. Nivedita Dadu’s Dermatology Clinic.
Here are some skincare benefits of orange peels:
1. Clears the skin
Orange peel exhibits excellent anti-inflammatory properties. They can suppress inflammation like a natural source of indomethacin, an anti-inflammatory drug. Also, the flavonoids in orange peels are known to permeate membranes and heal inflammation.
2. Exfoliates dead cells
The rind of orange is considered a boon for the skin as it treats blackheads and blemishes. It works as an effective exfoliating agent that helps in removing blackheads and unclogging the skin pores. Dried orange peel beads act as natural exfoliators and remove dead cells and blackheads gently and naturally, bringing a glow to the skin.
3. Brightens up
The peels will bring a bright glow to your face. In addition, they help to lighten the dark spots. If you are suffering from acne scars, dark spots or even pigmentation, orange peel powder’s rich content of citric acid will take care of the issue.
4. Reverse ageing
Orange peel powder contains enough calcium that renews and regenerates the skin. It is also known to regulate sebum production, thus getting rid of the skin’s excess oil. It protects our skin from sun damage with its anti-inflammatory properties. Not only this, they make your skin more firm and elastic by improving collagen production. Thus, reversing the effects of aging.
5. Heals acne
Due to its cleansing, anti inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties, orange peels work well against pus filled pimples and acne. They dry up the pimples allowing them to heal faster.
If you’re convinced about the benefits of orange peels, here’s a way that we love to use them in our skincare routine. A skin-glow ubtan it is! Used as a skincare staple since ancient times, this ubtan will scrub off the dead cells and leave you with a shimmering glow on your skin. And not to forget, the tangy orange aroma will recharge your senses!
Here’s how to make an orange peel ubtan:
- As the name suggests, we need air-dried orange peels.
- For this, you can spread the orange peels on a parchment paper and leave it indoors.
- It may take 3 to 6 days to dry them evenly.
- Once dried, grind them into a fine powder. Tip: Don’t use the same grinder jar you use to grind masalas. Or your face may feel the burning sensations.
- Scoop out the orange peel powder into a glass jar.
- Store this mix in the refrigerator for upto a month.
Here’s how to make and use this orange peel ubtan for glowing skin:
- Take a teaspoon of orange peel powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 teaspoons of raw milk to it.
- Add a pinch of turmeric for extra antioxidants benefits
- Mix it all to combine.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes to let the mixture thicken.
- Apply a thin layer of this ubtan on your skin.
- Let it semi dry for 8-10 minutes.
- Now, gently rub in circular motions like a scrub.
- Rub the ubtan off from your skin completely.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
Well, the best part about this ubtan is that it is a versatile DIY skincare. It works efficiently on your body as well as your facial skin. Just remember to be extra gentle in your motions when using it on your skin. Avoid tugging or pulling too much while removing this ubtan.