Back to basics: 6 reasons why my mom asks me to to drink water from a matka or earthern pot
By NCVC Staff | Published on Sep 26, 2023
Summer is here and the first thing we do when we step inside our homes after being under the scorching sun is drink a glass of chilled water directly from the refrigerator. You can guess what happens next. That’s right! Cough and cold. Various researches and even Ayurveda has claimed that refrigerated chilly water weakens our immune system and leads to various health problems. So, what do we do? Well, maybe it’s time we go back to our roots and start listening to our elders who used to advise us to drink water from a matka or earthern pot.
Here are 6 things you must do before you go to bed to wake up happier
- Is it PCOS or something else? A gynae talks about other ailments with similar symptoms
- Here are 5 foods that can help you get rid of body odour naturally
- Health Horoscope Today December 14, 2022: Let go of things that lead to mental stress
- A dietician recommends five foods to manage high blood pressure
Every time my hand inches towards the water bottle kept in the fridge, I have had to listen to my mom or an elder say, “You will get a sore throat. Make a habit of drinking water from the matka.” Even experts agree! Let’s dive into the disadvantages of drinking cold water and the benefits of drinking water from a claypot or earthern pot.
Disadvantages of drinking cold water
1. Can cause throat irritation: Drinking cold water can cause throat irritation, especially for people with a sensitive throat. It can also cause the muscles in the throat to contract, making it difficult to swallow.
2. Can slow down digestion: While cold water can help with digestion, drinking too much cold water can slow down the digestive process. It solidifies the fat from the food and makes it difficult for the body to break down.
3. Can increase mucus production: Drinking cold water can increase mucus production in the respiratory system. This can make it difficult to breathe for people with respiratory issues, such as asthma or allergies.
Benefits of drinking water from clay pot
Well-known nutritionist and health coach Neha Ranglani shared the benefits of clay pot in her recent Instagram post. Let’s take a look at these benefits, which can be a substitute for refrigerated cold water in summer that will help beat the heat.
1. Natural cooling properties
One of the main benefits of drinking water from clay pots is its natural cooling properties. Clay is a porous material, which allows air and moisture to pass through it. This natural property of clay makes it an excellent insulator. When water is stored in a clay pot, the water slowly seeps through the pores and evaporates on the surface, which causes the water to cool down naturally.
2. Maintains pH balance
The pH level of water is important for our health. The pH level of water stored in plastic containers or bottles can be altered due to the chemicals in the container. However, when water is stored in a clay pot, the alkaline nature of the clay helps in maintaining the pH balance of the water.
3. Enhances the taste
Drinking water from clay pots can significantly enhance the taste of water. When water is stored in a clay pot, it absorbs the minerals and salts from the clay, which enhances the taste of water. Additionally, clay pots do not add any unwanted taste or odour to the water, which can often be the case with plastic or metal containers.
4. Natural filtration
Clay is a natural filter and is known for its ability to absorb impurities and harmful toxins from the water. When water is stored in a clay pot, it passes through the tiny pores of the clay and gets naturally filtered, leaving behind the impurities and toxins.
5. Provides essential minerals
Clay pots are rich in minerals such as calcium, iron, and magnesium. When water is stored in a clay pot, it absorbs these minerals, which can provide essential nutrients to our body. It also has the electromagnetic properties of the earth which heals the mind and body.
Using clay pots for storing water is an eco-friendly option. Unlike plastic containers, which are not biodegradable and can cause harm to the environment, clay pots are biodegradable and do not harm the environment.
So, if you want to enjoy a refreshing and healthy glass of water, consider using a clay pot.