3 quick, simple and healthy recipes to spice up your weekend
By Emily Hagan | Published on Oct 18, 2023
With the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, staying safe at home has become our top priority. However, being confined doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy ourselves. Why not make the most of our time by trying out some fun weekend recipes? We’ve curated a list of three amazing recipes that are quick, simple, and healthy, guaranteed to add some excitement to your weekend!
- Weight loss: This 7-day diet plan may help you shed the extra pounds
- Dig into sweet potato for weight loss
- Asthma may get worse in winter: 8 tips to reduce the risk
- Hungry kya? Try these 7 nutritionist-backed ways to curb your hunger pangs
- Aiming for weight loss? Try drinking methi seeds water on an empty stomach
1. Hara Bhara Kabab
Let’s start with a recipe that is not only delicious but also packed with nutritional goodness. Hara Bhara Kabab is a green delight that will leave your taste buds craving for more. Not to mention, it’s incredibly easy to make! In just 30 minutes, you can prepare a perfect evening snack for yourself and your loved ones.
Recipe: Serves 16 kebabs
- Spinach/Baby Spinach (two bunches)
- 4 teaspoons of oil
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp of capsicum (finely chopped)
- 1 and a half pounds of beans (chopped)
- 1 and a half cup of peas (frozen or fresh)
- 4-pound potatoes (boiled and grated)
- 1 and a half cup of cottage cheese (paneer, crumbled)
- 6 tablespoons of coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- 4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons of dried mango powder
- A teaspoon of garam masala powder
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric (haldi)
- A pinch of salt to taste
- 2 cups of baked breadcrumbs (to coat)
- Heat the oil in a big kadai and add the green chili. Also, add the capsicum and cook until the moisture has evaporated. Then, add the beans and peas and sauté them well.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely before transferring it to a blender with blanched palak. Blend until you get a coarse paste.
- Take a large mixing basin and fill it halfway with the combined paste.
- Add grated potato, paneer, and coriander leaves as well. Mix well.
- Next, add cornflour and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and spices. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease your hands with oil and shape the mixture into small patties. Coat them with breadcrumbs.
- Pan fry or air fry the patties until they turn golden brown.
- Serve these delicious Hara Bhara Kababs with a side of spicy sauce.
2. Lemon Rice
Originating from the south of India, Lemon Rice is a comfort food staple that is light, flavorful, and simple to make. Packed with the refreshing taste of lemon juice and the aromatic touch of curry leaves, this dish is a winner.
Recipe: Serves 4
- 1 cup of cooked basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- A pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds (sarson)
- 1/2 cup of curry leaves (kadhi patta)
- 1 whole red chili (sabut laal mirch)
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves (hara dhania, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of peanuts
- 1 tablespoon of urad dal
- 1 tablespoon of chana dal
- 1/2 tablespoon of ginger
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, allowing them to sputter.
- Add asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, red chili, chana dal, and urad dal. Cook them thoroughly.
- Now, add peanuts, turmeric powder, and rice once the seeds start to sputter. Mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rice, salt, and lemon juice. Give it a good stir.
- Serve this delightful Lemon Rice immediately and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
3. Mushroom Pasta
For those who love experimenting with different cuisines, Mushroom Pasta is a perfect choice. By using whole-wheat pasta, you’ll be indulging in a healthier option. Plus, the health benefits of mushrooms will elevate the dish even further!
Recipe: Serves 2
- 50 grams of shiitake mushrooms (soaked in warm water for 15 minutes)
- 100 grams of fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon of onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme or fresh parsley (chopped)
- 30 ml of white wine
- 100 grams of whole-wheat pasta (penne or linguine)
- Salt and pepper for flavor
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water according to the instructions on the package. While the pasta is boiling, prepare the sauce.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. Then, add mushrooms and wine.
- After the wine has evaporated, add some of the water in which the shiitake mushrooms were soaked.
- Season with salt, herbs, and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the sauce along with a little of the pasta water.
- Give it a good mix and serve this delectable Mushroom Pasta immediately.
These three recipes are not only delicious but also provide a healthy twist to your weekend meals. Don’t forget to share these amazing recipes with your friends and loved ones too! Enjoy your cooking and have a great weekend!